Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Passion of Christ

"I am poured out like water,
and all of My bones are out of joint."

Psalm 22:14

A couple went to see a movie, The Passion of Christ, about the crucifixion of Jesus. As they viewed the horrible scene of Christ suffering on the cross, the wife had tears falling upon her face. Her husband noticed. He whispered, "Are you alright?" She said, "I am overwhelmed that He loved me enough to suffer for my sins."

The excruciating suffering of Christ on the cross was prophesied vividly in Psalm 22. It is given in detail that witnesses with the testimony of the New Testament. Crucifixion was used by the Roman soldiers to bring about a slow, and very painful death, designed to strike fear in those who thought about revolting against their authority. The pressure of the body hanging from the cross caused bones to pull out of joint. We can only imagine the pain. 

Jesus suffered on behalf of sinners. That includes you and me, "for all have sinned" (Romans 3:23). His suffering was beyond our imagination. Psalm 22 describes it in detail. He suffered and died for our sins that we could be forgiven, and receive eternal life through His death and resurrection.

The woman who shed tears watching the movie, said to her husband later that evening, "You only saw my tears. I wish that you could see my heart. It is filled with love for the One who died for me." Her husband said, "I didn't have tears, but I have so much love for Him." We love Him, because He first loved us, and that's why Christ suffered at the cross.