Sunday, November 11, 2012

God Changes People

"Truly God is good to Israel, to such as are pure in heart."

Psalm 73:1

The mother was worried about her son. She had taught him the ways of God from his childhood. Later in life, he chose to go his own way. His life-style brought his mother much grief. She said to her husband, "I wish that I knew what to do or say to change our son's heart." Her husband gently replied, "I know you do, and so do I, but only God can change his heart. Let's pray that it will happen." And so they prayed continually. The years went by, and they continued to pray. It was only after his parents died, that their prayers were answered in their son's life. He had turned to God. His life was changed. His heart had been made pure by God. He said to his wife, "I regret that my parents didn't live long enough to see the change that God has made in my life, but their prayers outlived them. They were answered."

Only God can make a hardened heart anew, to be cleansed and pure. The Bible describes the inner-man, the mind, will, emotions and conscience, as the heart. God's still small voice speaks to our hearts. "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion" (Hebrews 3:15). As we call upon Him to change our hearts, He responds. "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10). God cleanses our hearts from all sin through faith in Jesus Christ (1 John 1:7).

How about your heart? Would you describe it as a pure heart? Many of us would be reluctant to do so, because it may sound self-righteous. However, if our hearts are pure, it's only because of the grace of God in Christ Jesus. A pure heart is not our work, but a work of the Spirit of God within us. A pure heart is only a prayer away. Fresh cleansing is available for every believer, as we confess our sins to God (1 John 1:9). God wants to show us His goodness in our lives. It all begins with a pure heart. That's how God changes people.

Prayer: Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cleanse me from all sin, through the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.