Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Free from Guilt

"In Him we have redemption through His blood."

Ephesians 1:7

A man visited a pastor to share a terrible burden. He confessed a sin that he had committed years ago. He said, "I think about that sin every day of my life. I can't get it out my mind. My conscience torments me. Can you help me?" The pastor said, "I can't help you, but God can. He sent His Son to die for all of our sins, and that includes your sins, even the one that torments you." The pastor went on to explain how we receive the mercy of God in Christ at the cross. He led the man in a prayer to confess his sins, that one tormenting sin in particular. He asked God to cleanse him from those sins through the cross of Christ. The man said to the pastor, "I feel like a great load has been lifted off me. My guilt is gone."

Every believer has redemption in Christ. The word redemption means to buy or pay the price. Christ paid the price to set every believer free from condemnation. He paid the price at the cross, when He shed His blood for us. "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). Christ took our sins upon Himself at the cross. The cost of our forgiveness is paid in full. In the words of an old hymn of the church, "Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe."

Do you have the assurance that all of your sins are forgiven? Through faith in Jesus Christ, we receive the promise of God that all of our sins are forgiven. "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:7). When one particular sin plagues our conscience, we may confess that sin to God and take Him at His promise. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).  We are forgiven and free from all guilt.

Prayer: Father, we have sinned. We confess our sins, taking Your promise to forgive and cleanse us, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.