Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Days of Our Lives

"My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle."

Job 7:6

A minister taped a video message for television. The location was at a cemetery. He stood at the marker for a grave site. He said, "Every marker has a name on it. Also, it has two dates, the date of a person's birth and the date of death. There is a short dash-mark between those two dates. Life is short. The days pass quickly. The believer in Jesus Christ has hope beyond the grave. Jesus said, 'I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live." The video closed with an invitation to worship with his church. He gave viewers a reminder of what we all know. Life is short, and the days are passing quickly.

Job looked at the weaver's shuttle. It moved quickly to accomplish its task. He thought about the days of his life, after experiencing the death of his children. He thought about the days of a person's life moving more quickly than a weaver's shuttle. Later, Job asked the question, "If a man dies, shall he live again?" (Job 14:14). Yet later, Job confessed his faith in life after death. "For I know that my Redeemer lives . . . and after my skin is destroyed, this I know . . . I shall see God" (Job 19:25-26). God has given witness to all men of life after death, through the empty tomb of Christ. He is the Resurrection, our Redeemer.

The gift of hope is born in the heart of every child of God, who trusts in the resurrection of Christ. Unbelief readily admits, "How can I know that there is life after death? I have no such hope." Faith testifies, "I know that my Redeemer lives, and when this body is dead, I shall see God." Faith and hope are inseparably yoked together, that even death cannot separate us from the love of God in Christ (Romans 8:38-39). Life passes quickly. Faith, hope and love abide.

Prayer: Father, our lives are passing quickly, but hope in our hearts assures us of life everlasting, through our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Amen.