Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Key to Prayer

"The effective fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."

James 5:16

A woman read every book that she could find on prayer. She felt like God would not answer her prayers, because she didn't use the right words. She even found a book with suggested prayers. She prayed those words, but she saw no change in her prayer life. She finally expressed her frustration about prayer with a Christian friend. Her friend said, "Prayer is not as much about words as it is about a relationship. I can talk openly and safely to my husband about any subject, because I know he loves me and accepts me. So it is in my relationship with God. I have conversations with Him about everything, because I know that He loves me and accepts me."

The key to a satisfying prayer life is our relationship with God. The Bible teaches that the prayer of a righteous person is effective. Don't confuse that with a self-righteous person. A righteous person is one who has a right relationship with God. We are made right with God through faith in Jesus Christ. That's the reason we pray in Jesus name. We "become the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor. 5:21). Conversational prayer with God our Father is our birthright through faith in Jesus Christ.

Are you satisfied with your prayer life? Don't chase after a secret formula or magic words. Remember, you have a Father in heaven who loves you. He wants to listen to you as you open your heart to Him. Satisfying prayer is not an art nor a science. It's a relationship. It's all about your faith relationship with God in Christ. Fear says, "I'm afraid that I don't know how to pray. I don't know the right words." Faith says, "God will listen to my prayers, because He loves and cares for me. He's my Father in heaven." That's effective prayer.

Prayer: Father, we cherish our relationship with You by faith in Your Son. We are Your children, and we receive Your love and blessings through Jesus Christ. Amen.