Friday, October 12, 2012

Trust God's Goodness

"But as for you, you meant evil against me;
but God meant it for good."

Genesis 50:20

Two women were talking about their problems in life. One said, "It's really easy to trust God when everything is going well and you don't have any problems. However, when the problems come, it's harder to trust God in all things. The other woman said, "I have discovered when I focus only on my problems, my faith becomes weak. When I think about God in the midst of my problems, I know He changes not. Then, I can trust His goodness no matter what. He is going to bring good out of our problems. We can trust God is good all the time."

In the book of Genesis, Joseph was rejected by his brothers, sold into slavery, falsely accused of doing wrong, and cast into prison. His problems multiplied with no relief in sight. Yet, God had put him in a place where he was surprisingly raised up to be Pharaoh's most trusted advisor. Because of his elevated position, he was able to feed during a famine the very family members who had rejected him and sold him into slavery. What happened to him as evil, God meant it for good. The family that became the nation of Israel was spared extinction. God's goodness prevailed.

When our problems multiply, we may be tempted to think God has forgotten about us. Trusting God means that we don't simply look only at the problems experienced now, but we trust God over time to bring good out of it. No one is exempt from bad things coming our way. However, we can wait upon the Lord, trusting in His goodness to prevail. We can trust God's unchanging goodness.

Prayer: We wait to see Your goodness, O God. We trust You.