Sunday, November 18, 2012

God's Word to You

"Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven."

Psalm 119:89

A certain elderly man was very wealthy. He had only one child, an adult son. The elderly father sought to control every aspect of his son's life. If the son ever did anything that the father disapproved, the father would say, "Son, I guess, I just need to take you out of my will." That worked for years. When the father made the threat the last time, his son responded, "Dad, I love you, but I can't let you control my life any longer. My freedom and self-respect is more important than all of your wealth. I encourage you to take me out of your will, if that's the price of my freedom." The father didn't take the son out of his will. He readily admitted, "Son, I'm proud of you. You've become a man. I respect your freedom." God our Father never tries to manipulate us with a threat of changing His will. His covenant word is forever settled in heaven.

God works in our lives according to covenant. A covenant includes promises made with an oath that cannot be broken. In ancient times, covenant vows were sealed in the death of a sacrificial animal. God's everlasting covenant with believers is sealed in the blood of His Son (Hebrews 13:20-21). God's covenant word simply cannot be changed, because it is forever settled in heaven.

Our relationship with God, the forgiveness of our sins, and God's work in our lives is guaranteed through God's forever word. We read the covenant promises in the Bible (Jeremiah 31:31-33; 32:40; Hebrews 8:8-12). God has sworn with a covenant oath, and will not repent. He will not change His mind. He has proven that oath through Christ. Jesus is our surety to a covenant word that cannot be broken (Hebrews 8:20-22). The Bible gives us God's forever word settled in heaven. That's God's word to you.

Prayer: LORD, we take You at Your covenant word, and the promises forever settled in heaven and recorded in the Bible. We stand on the promises that cannot fail, through our surety in Jesus name. Amen.