Saturday, November 17, 2012

Making Decisions

"Let the peace of God rule in your hearts."

Colossians 3:15

A teenage boy said to his mother, "I wish that I could know God's will for my life. I don't know where I should go to college. I'm not sure about my vocation. There are so many decisions, and I need God's help." His mother said, "Son, there's one way that I have found to always lead me in God's will. I simply ask Him to guide me. Then, I follow the peace of God in my heart. His peace guides me." He replied, "Well, I sure don't know God's will now, because I'm not at peace." His mother said, "As you ask God for help, He will guide you. He will confirm every decision with peace in your heart."

God promises that He will give us wisdom in making decisions, when we ask in faith (James 1:5). He confirms that wisdom with peace (James 3:17-18). The Holy Spirit works in the heart of every believer. As we yield to His guidance, peace is our confirmation. The peace of God is a fruit of the Holy Spirit working within us (Galatians 5:22). Peace is our guide to the will of God.

Do you have peace in your life? That word may not describe our circumstances without, but our relationship with God within. Peace from God is a fruit in our lives of receiving Jesus Christ by faith (Romans 5:1). The believer is to walk in that peace, knowing the will of God. When you need God's wisdom in making decisions, don't hesitate to ask in faith. Confusion says, "I don't know what to do. Can anyone really know God's will?" Wisdom says, "I know God's will for my life. He has confirmed it with His peace." Living in God's will is walking in peace.

Prayer: Father, we ask for wisdom to lead us in all of our decisions. Grant us peace according to Your will, to walk in Your will, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.