Sunday, November 4, 2012

Is God with You?

"I am with you always, even to the end of the world."

Matthew 28:20

A teenage girl had returned from a church retreat. She said to her mother, "It was a great retreat. I could feel the presence of God. I wish that He was with me like that all the time." Her mother said, "Honey, I know what you are saying. I have had those times in my life when I felt the presence of God in a wonderful way, but we must remember that He's with us always. He will never leave us because He loves us." That's a good reminder to all believers everywhere. We take the Lord at His word.

Jesus promised His disciples that He would be with them always, even until the end of the world. That includes us. Every believer is indwelt by the Spirit of the living Christ (Romans 8:9). He comes to live in our hearts. The Spirit of God is our constant companion. As the expecting mother may feel the unborn baby move within her from time to time, nevertheless, the unborn child lives within her until the birth. Most of the time she does not feel the baby move. So it is with the Spirit of God within the believer. He moves within us in ways we recognize, however, He lives in us at all times.

A new Christian said to a Christian friend, "When I received Christ, I felt the love and joy of His presence, but I don't have that feeling now. It bothers me. Have I done something wrong?" His friend said, "He's still with you. Feelings come and go, but He has promised never to leave us. Simply take Him at His word." We all get excited about special times with the Lord, when we know that He is moving in our lives, however, remember this, God is with you always.

Prayer: Father, we believe that You are with us all the time, even until the end of the world, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.