Sunday, April 6, 2014

God Will Help You

"Our help is in the name of the LORD,
who made heaven and earth."

Psalm 124:8

A man was having untold problems in his life. He said to his pastor, "I sure need God's help." The pastor assured him that God's help was available. The man replied, "I hope so, but I really don't know how to receive His help." The pastor asked him, "If you were in an accident, and you called 911, do you believe they would respond?" He said, "Sure, that's what they are there for." The pastor smiled, and said, "Surely, you know if they would help you, then God will be there for you. All you need to do is call upon Him in prayer."

To pray for God's help is to call upon the name of the LORD. That's His covenant name. He has promised to help all who trust in His name. To trust in God means that we can count on His covenant promises. His word to us is His bond with us. One of those many promises is recorded in Psalm 118:6 and repeated in Hebrews 13:6. "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear." We need not beg Him to help us. We simply ask Him according to the promise of His word. Then, we can thank Him for helping us, knowing that He watches over His word to perform it.

Unbelief says, "God has no reason to help me." Doubt says, "God may help me, but then again, He may not." Faith confesses, "God has promised to help me. I trust His word." The promises of God are wonderful and sure to all who believe, but doubt and unbelief will rob us of the assurance of standing on the promises of God. The one "who made heaven and earth" has promised to help us. Believers may boldly confess, "Our help is in the name of the LORD."

God, I believe and receive Your help.