Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Faith is a Gift

"For by grace are you saved through faith, 
and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God."

Ephesians 2:8

A man said to a pastor, "I wish that I could believe in Christ. Maybe it's because I don't know how. I've heard about faith most of my life, but nobody seems to get around to telling me how to believe." The pastor said, "The Bible not only tells you to believe in Christ, but it tells you how to receive that faith." The pastor shared several verses from the Bible with him. About two months later, that man called the pastor to say, "Thanks for what you taught me about faith. I didn't find the faith, but faith found me. Now, I truly believe in Christ."

Understand that faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit. It comes to you by the Spirit of God through the word of God. The Bible is inspired of the Holy Spirit. Your faith in Christ is based upon the word of the gospel, which is Christ crucified for your sins and risen from the dead for your justification.

Faith in Jesus Christ is both a command and a gift. God commands us to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. God's Spirit gives us faith to believe in Christ. What God requires, He provides. That's the grace of God. Grace means gift. Grace gives faith to trust or believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Unbelief says, "I cause people to reject God and His Son." Doubt says, "I keep people confused about God and His Son." Faith says, "I am given by God's Spirit to bring people to God through Jesus Christ."