Friday, November 3, 2017

Beware of Self-Pity

Self-pity is a spiritual problem. We are tempted to think only about ourselves. Self-pity can only be cured when we turn our thoughts away from ourselves to God and others. Seeing God as your faithful Lord who is always with you, to encourage and help you, is the way out of self-pity. 

Your relationship with God results in taking attention off yourself. Your relationship with Him brings love and joy. Then, you see the needs of others, and the compassion of God fills your heart to care about them, pray for them, and minister to them. You don't have time for self-pity. "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance" (Psalm 42:5).

Pray the Word: Father, deliver me from self-pity. My hope is in you. I will praise you today, for you are worthy of all praise. I seek the help that comes from you, through the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Do the Word: Be honest with yourself when self-pity becomes a problem. No one is exempt. Turn the attention away from yourself to God. Praise God for his presence and help.