Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Wait on God

"Wait on the LORD, and keep His way,
and He shall exalt you to inherit the land."

Psalm 37:34

The family had been in the waiting room for a long time. Finally, the mother said to the pastor who was waiting with them, "I can't take this any longer. I've got to know if my daughter is okay." The pastor said, "I understand. Let me see what I can do. I'm going to talk to the receptionist." He approached her desk to explain that the family was restless and needed to know something. The receptionist called the operating room. She discovered that the surgery had been delayed. The pastor returned with that word for the family. The mother responded, "I know we have to wait, but I just needed to know my daughter is okay."

None of us really like to wait. When the circumstances are serious, we long to know that everything is okay. When we wait on the God, we can know that it is in His hands. He never makes us wait without a good cause.

God had promised the people of Israel that they would inherit the land according to His covenant. They had to wait on the LORD. That name for God, with all capital letters, is His covenant name. That means He made a covenant promise to them with an oath. He was sure to bring it to pass, yet they had to wait.

Waiting on God is trusting the covenant promises of His word. God works on His timetable not ours. Unbelief says, "I'm not waiting on God, because I don't see anything happening." Faith says, "I'm waiting on the LORD to do what He promised." Faith is tested, and waiting can be the hardest test. Wait on the LORD.