Saturday, April 6, 2013

Feeling Forsaken

"My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?"

Psalm 22:1

A man was going through a divorce. It was the most painful experience of his life. He said to a friend, "You know, sometime I feel like God has forgotten about me. Do you think He has forsaken me?" His friend said, "I think I can understand why you feel that way. I would too, if I was in your situation. God loves you now as much as He ever has. He's with you no matter how you feel."

Jesus felt forsaken of the Father on the cross, as He suffered for the sins of the world. He prayed from Psalm 22. He felt the pain of being forsaken. He identifies with everyone who has ever felt forsaken. But, that's not the end of the story. Three days later, the Spirit of God raised Him from the dead. He had taken our sins, suffering and feelings of being forsaken. He triumphed over them through resurrection power. He offers us the victory over all of our sins, suffering and pains of feeling forsaken. God the Father was silent until the third day. He spoke with power that brought victory for Christ, as well as all who believe in Him.

Do you know someone who feels forsaken? Maybe, you have had that experience. Don't give up. God has something better. He offers us love, joy and peace. Trust the same power which raised Jesus from the dead to raise you above your circumstances. Know that God is with you, even if you have that forsaken feeling.

Father, sometime we feel forsaken. Give us faith to overcome those forsaken feelings. Raise us with power for living, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.