Saturday, March 7, 2015

All of Grace

A former major league baseball player gave his testimony for Christ at a public gathering. He summarized his testimony in these words: "I'm just a sinner and nothing at all, but Jesus is my all in all." Those words have stayed with me. That really is the testimony of all who have come to know the grace of God through Jesus Christ.

For believers, all we are and ever hope to be is in the grace of God. Grace is defined as God's unmerited favor to sinners. God does not save you because you are good enough, nor because you have earned your salvation. It is all of grace. Grace means the gift of God. There are only two things that you can do with a gift. You can accept it or reject it. God's grace is received by faith. It is rejected by unbelief. 

Amazing Grace is a well-known hymn. We sing these words: "Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see." We are saved by grace alone. And yes, that is amazing grace.

The arrogant pride of unbelief may boast, "I'm a self-made man. I am what I am, all because of what I have done." Faith says, "But by the grace of God, I am what I am." Faith understands that it's all of grace.

"But by the grace of God, I am what I am, 
and His grace toward me was not in vain." 

1 Corinthians 15:10