Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Keep Prayer Simple

An older man was talking to his pastor. He said, "I wish that I could pray like you. It would be great to talk to the good Lord like you do, but I'm just not able to pray like you."  The pastor said, "You can talk to the Lord as well as I can. Prayer is simple. It's just talking to Jesus." The pastor was right. Anyone can talk to the Lord, and that is prayer. We need to keep it simple. Children often find it easier to pray than adults. They know that prayer is simply talking to Jesus.

There is only one condition for effective prayer and that is faith that Jesus is with us. He made a simple promise to every believer. Jesus said, "I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20). Faith takes the Lord at His word. The Spirit of Christ is with the believer all the time and everywhere. We know that He is with us because we believe His promise.

Doubt says, "Lord, please be with me. I beg you to be with me." Faith says, "Lord, you are with me always." He is the friend who goes with us everyday and everywhere. He's with you now. Don't ignore Him, just talk to Him. That's prayer.

The Bible says, "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). We need not confine our prayers to a certain time of the day, nor in a certain place such as a church. Talk to the Lord throughout your day. He's there for you. We need not be formal nor try to use special religious words. Keep prayer simple.