Thursday, October 4, 2012

Find Hope

"We through the patience and comfort
of the Scriptures might have hope."

Romans 15:4

Two college students were talking. One said, "I don't understand how Christians can believe in life after death. It's all built on superstition and myth. Science has no evidence of life after death. I would have to commit intellectual suicide to be a Christian. It's all foolishness." The other student said, "Well, I need to tell you that I am a Christian. My hope in life after death is not built on scientists nor philosophers. It's built on the evidence and witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. God put hope in my heart about eternal life when I committed my life to Christ. It's a gift from God. I'm sad that you don't have this hope, because one day you will face death hopeless."

The message of Scripture declares the hope of life eternal through the risen Christ. Holy Scripture was written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit brings us the gift of God in hope through Christ. Believers have hope in Christ in this life as well as the life to come. When the Holy Spirit changes our hearts, we have faith and hope in Christ, as we experience the love of Christ (Romans 5:5; 1 Corinthians 13:13).

We need hope in life, and we need hope eternal in the face of death. Only God can give us a hope that is steadfast and sure. The eternal God, our heavenly Father, gives hope to all of His children, because He is the God with whom all things are possible. Our hope comes from the message of the Bible, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit which is abiding hope. Find hope in God.

Prayer: Father, we praise You for the hope in our hearts, through the work of the Holy Spirit, by faith in Jesus Christ. Amen.