Saturday, October 6, 2012

Turning to God

". . . the Gentiles who are turning to God."

Acts 15:19

The man's life was unraveling. He had problems that were bringing him to a point of being absolutely hopeless. A friend said to him, "I'm not a very religious man, but considering all of your problems, I think it's time for you to consider turning your life to God." The man said, "I agree with you, but I don't know how. Could you tell me?" The friend responded, "Listen, I admitted that I'm not very religious, but my mother knows God. She can help you." A few days later, that mother had the opportunity of telling her son's  friend how to turn to God. He did.

We turn to God through His Son Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit enables us to turn to God by faith in Christ. It's called grace, God's unmerited favor. "We believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved" (Acts 15:11). God "made no distinction between us (Jews) and them (Gentiles), purifying their hearts by faith" (Acts 15:9). The Bible tells us clearly how to turn to God.

Do you need to turn your life to God? Do you know others who need to turn their lives to God? The Holy Spirit brings people to see that they need to turn to God through Christ. When that happens, they ask questions. When people are ready to turn to God, we can tell them simply and clearly what the Bible says. Turning to God changes people forever.

Prayer: God, may the Holy Spirit grant us grace to turn to You by faith, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.