Monday, March 4, 2013

Christ Living in Us

"Christ lives in me, and the life which I now live in the flesh,
I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20

Dr. Thomas C. Oden, a professor of theology, wrote, "Redemption occurs not through assent to doctrine but through union with the living Christ by faith. This life could not occur with a dead Christ." The apostle Paul testified of a faith relationship with the living Christ in Galatians 2:20. Before he experienced the living Christ, he was a very religious man. As a Pharisee, he was taught doctrine about God, but he really didn't know God in a personal way. Through faith he experienced the love of God in the living Christ.

A man was trying to share the good news of Christ with a friend. His friend interrupted the conversation saying, "Listen I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I've already tried religion and it just doesn't work for me." The man said, "Oh, no I'm not trying to talk just about religion. I want you to know that God loves you. His Son died for all of our sins. Christ is alive and He wants to live in you by faith." The friend didn't really understand, but over several weeks the conversation continued from time to time. One day the friend said he wanted to experience Christ in his life. He said, "It's not just about your words, but I see a difference in your life. I really want what you have."

Do you have faith in the living Christ? The Spirit of the living Christ comes into our lives by faith that we may experience God's love and power. The Holy Spirit works in our mind, will and emotions, that is referred to as the heart in the Bible. While this new life is received by faith in Christ, the real evidence is the love of God working in us and through us for God and others. That's the living Christ in us.
Lord Jesus, live in me to love God and others. Amen.