Sunday, March 3, 2013

Faith that Works

"For in Christ Jesus . . . faith working through love."

Galatians 5:6

Martin Luther wrote, "Faith receives, love gives. Faith brings man to God, love brings God to man. Through faith man allows God to do him good, through love God does good to men." Luther understood the union between love and faith. They are inseparable. God is love, so we can say that love gives us faith in God and His Son. Without experiencing God's love, our faith would be empty and lifeless. Through love, faith comes alive, because faith works through love.

A young man said to his dad, "I wish that my faith was stronger. I have tried to have greater faith, but I just can't seem to get there." His dad replied, "I found out a long time ago that faith follows love. When we yield to God's love in all things, faith just seems to get stronger. Don't focus on faith. Focus on God's love and your faith will grow." What wise advice from a loving father. God is about love because He is love (1 John 4:8). Faith, hope and love are abiding gifts of the Spirit of God, but never forget that love is always the greatest (1 Cor. 13:13). When our lives are filled with God's love, we can't help but be filled with faith and hope.

Have you ever wished that you had greater faith? Let's refocus on love and see how our faith follows with new strength and greater power. Faith says, "With me, your prayers shall be answered. You can walk with God and please Him, but without love I can't help you." Love says, "Don't worry about your faith, because faith can only work through me. When I fill your heart, faith will have a place to work."
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.